Thursday, January 3, 2013

The "R" Word


I am so new at this only welcomed into my club for five months.  However, I cannot believe how offended I already am by the word.  I was an avid user of the word before I even began to think about Chambers.  However, now I really see the harm in it.  If you look up the definition of the word it states:


: slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

So basically when I hear people use this a conversation about an incident was retarded or a person's actions were retarded it doesn't really make sense!

If all of you can just make sure that when you here that word uttered in a conversation, you put a stop to it.  Its offensive, rude, and needs to be changed from our vocabulary.  

My daughter may have some limitations, however, I feel that she will do everything that each of my other children did in her own time.  It may take her longer to talk, but she is my child--I have no worries that she will be sitting in the back of the car about to drive us crazy with constant chatter! 

It may take her longer to walk--but again she is my child--I am sure that she will be at the gym working out with me in many of my classes and running her own marathon as she gets older!

It may take her longer to learn some things--but here is where she is Ingram's child--and I have no worries that she will be explain to us the fact that our roof lines on our gingerbread house does not line up!!

So please take the time to remind people that the word is just not acceptable anymore.  We can totally think of other words to use instead:

stupid
silly
idiotic
socially awkward
unsophisticated
dumb
horrible
wrong
lame


Here is a link to pledge that you will help End the Word:

THanks for helping out--Chambers!!



No comments:

Post a Comment